For memory foam mattresses, is it best to go with the tried and true or to experiment with new innovations? To see which mattress is better, Layla or Novosbed? This comparison takes a look at Layla’s copper-infused layers and Novosbed’s cardboard delivery system.
Is there a clear winner here? To find out, read on or check out our separate evaluations for each bed:
Quick Comparison: Layla vs. Novosbed
- Firmness on both sides.
- Memory foam with a copper infusion.
- Trial period of 120 nights.
- There’s nothing quite like the classic comfort of memory foam.
- Luxurious accommodations for a reasonable price.
- Firmness of a medium degree.
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
This brand comes rolled up in a package and may be flipped to offer a firmer or softer memory feel. It is encased in a polyester blend with viscose, lycra, and ThermoGel® qualities designed to keep the wearer cool while sleeping.
The product has four layers and measures 10 inches in height:
- A copper-infused 3-inch memory foam layer on the soft side of the mattress helps remove body heat when it is compressed.
- Comfort, breathability and pressure relief are all provided by the 2-inch convoluted foam in the second layer.
- The endurance of the mattress and a restful night’s sleep are ensured by the presence of a 4-inch layer of harder foam in the third layer.
- This layer is made of the same material as the previous, and it is 1 inch thick.
The layers are flipped when the Firm side is facing up.
Compressed and delivered to your door, Novosbed is available in three firmness levels (Soft, Medium, and Firm). If the mattress is too hard or soft for you, the company offers a free Comfort+ kit that they will send you. The majority of sleepers can benefit from a mattress in the Medium price range, so that’s what we’ll be looking at in this comparison.
In total, it has a thickness of 11 inches. It has a stretch-knit top that can be removed, and the sides are encased in a high-end fabric that is machine washable. The three layers of foam are protected by an inner elastic cover.
- Two inches of high-density foam are sandwiched between two layers of breathable fabric.
- Two inches of transitional high-density foam support the soft top layer and soften the more supporting last layer in the second layer, as well as providing additional support.
- The 7-inch Premium Support Foam is the final layer that provides structural support. It helps maintain a good posture as you sleep by counteracting the softness of the top.
As a reminder, there are many distinct models of stiffness.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
We’ll use Layla’s Soft and Novosbed’s Medium firmness for our evaluations, but both brands provide a range of firmness.
Using the Sleep Advisor firmness scale, Layla is rated a 4 out of 5. A memory foam mattress should have a slow response time, which is what most people imagine when picturing one. When resting on your back or side, the cushion’s softness should follow the contours of your body, providing a nice mix of comfort and support.
The firmer side of the mattress (scoring a 7 out of 10) may be more pleasant for heavier sleepers or those who only sleep on their stomachs.
Novosbed scores a 6 out of 10 on our scale, placing it in the most flexible section. Even while the top layer is soft and the transitional and lower foams provide just the appropriate amount of structure for most people, the Comfort+ kit allows you to alter the firmness or softness of the mattress to suit your preferences. Because it is a memory bed, the response time is going to be a little bit slower.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
Sleepers who choose a memory bed report that they experience less bouncing and more contouring around their bodies. On the soft side of the bed, Layla should give a hug that makes her feel like she’s sinking into the mattress. Most people may sleep in any position they like, but some who require more support in their mobility, such as the elderly, may prefer to be on the firmer side of the bed.
There has to be more of a cradle-like feel to Novosbed. The contouring for pressure relief should still be there, but you should feel more on top of the bed than in it, making nighttime repositioning easier.
Comparing Motion Transfer
For those who share their beds with a partner, children, or pets, motion transfer can make or ruin a night’s sleep. Both brands are composed of memory materials, which means that light sleepers should be able to get a good night’s sleep without being disturbed. It is possible to get a good night’s sleep on either bed if memory absorption is important to you.
Comparing Edge Support
Edge support, like motion transfer, is crucial to couples. The surface area of a bed is increased since sleepers are able to get closer to the mattress’s edge.
The edge support of both mattresses is comparable to other bed-in-a-box foam beds in this online market, despite their lower scores in this area. Layla has a lower score than Novosbed since it is softer, therefore those who frequently sit at the foot of the bed may prefer Novosbed.
Layla vs. Novosbed Compared Side-by-Side
|Cover||Polyester blended with viscose, lycra, and ThermoGel®||Polyester blend with Tencel|
|Materials||Copper-infused memory foam, high-density poly foam, convoluted support foam||High-Density Airflow Memory Foam, Premium Support Foam|
|Cooling||Copper wicks away memory foam heat, and the convoluted layer promotes airflow.||Breathable Airflow foam|
|Firmness||4 or 7/10||6/10|
|Sinkage||Deep Hug||Gentle Cradling|
|Trial Period||120 nights||120 nights|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Ships to U.S. and Canada||Delivers to US and Canada; White Glove Delivery available in select locations|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||Layla Price (w/o discount)||Novosbed Price (w/o discount)|
Novosbed VS Layla Comparison
|Layers Used||4 layers||5 layers|
|Height||11 inches, but 13 inches when using the Comfort+ firmness adjustment||10.5 inches|
|Firmness||Soft to Firm (adjustable with Comfort+)||Soft to Medium (depending on which side|
you decide to sleep on)
|Trial Period||120 nights||120 nights|
|Warranty||15 years (with the first 10 years non-prorated, and the remaining 5 years prorated)||Lifetime warranty|
|Pricing (Queen)||CAD $1,399||USD $799 with monthly payments available (original price is USD 899 but they’ve got a special now)|
|Shipping||Free shipping (some remote locations may require shipping fees). They only ship to the United States and Canada||Free shipping (some remote locations may require shipping fees). They only ship to the United States and Canada|
Should I Buy Layla or Novosbed?
There are two memory foam beds, each with a different firmness setting. Which one is best for you?
We Would Recommend Buying Layla if You are Looking for:
- Dual-sided firmness. You can buy a mattress online without leaving your house thanks to Layla’s one-mattress-fits-all model.
- A bed that keeps ultra cool. When it comes to keeping you cool, this brand goes all out with copper-infused foam and convolutions in the design.
- Super contouring. You should feel like you’re sinking into bed when you wear this brand’s softer products. Extra pressure relief is provided by this additional layer, which is great for those who sleep on the side.
We Would Recommend Buying Novosbed if You are Looking for:
- Personalized firmness customization. If you’re in the middle of the three soft, medium, and firm selections, you can get a free Comfort+ firmness adjustment kit from Novosbed to help you find a better fit for your sleep style. This brand caters to those who choose a softer or firmer mattress.
- Luxurious features at an affordable cost. This bed is made of high-quality materials and foams, but it doesn’t break the bank.
- Easy movement. Because of the soft cradling in the top comfort layers, sleepers should not feel “stuck” when making adjustments in the middle of the night.
Layla and Novosbed are both memory foam mattresses, yet they offer different sleeping experiences. Layla’s additional cooling properties or Novosbed’s high-end materials may be more essential to you, but either mattress should provide years of restful sleep. Most sleepers will be able to discover a firmness level that works for them thanks to the variety of options each bed offers.
Which one should you choose? Check out our in-depth analyses of both goods, which you can get by clicking on the links above. Alternatively, if you’d like to see more, check out our best-selling bed models here.