After a hard day at work, all you want to do is snuggle up in bed and drift away into dreamland. However, certain circumstances can keep you from experiencing a peaceful night. Did you know that using the wrong pillow while sleeping could actually be the reason behind those back and neck pains you’ve been experiencing? Reports show that poor quality pillows are the main culprits behind stiffness, frequent headaches, and poor sleep. These are body issues that can have you spending a lot of money in search of medical treatment.
Many suspect that they experience such issues because maybe they are working too much or that they are not eating well or hydrating enough oblivious that the problem is caused by the pillow they are using. If you are one of those people who is constantly experiencing pains and aches with no clear reason as to what may be the cause, how about changing your pillows for a start? But with all the pillows out there, how do you know that the new pillow you buy, will not land you in the same problems as the old pillow? Well, that is where bamboo pillows come in.
Bamboo pillows come in various shapes and sizes. There are numerous factors that go into what type and size of bamboo pillow you should choose for yourself. Many think that all pillows are the same with the only difference being size. An original bamboo Pillow, however, is custom made according to various factors to ensure support, comfort and most importantly, overall health. Here we delve deeper into tips, and details in regard to bamboo pillows plus a selection of the best bamboo pillow out in the market.
What you need to know about pillows
Did you know that a pillow is equally as important as your mattress? When shopping around for beddings, the focus is placed more on the mattress and bedcovers and less on the pillows. For many, if it is the right size and the right color they don’t even bother asking further about the exact kind of pillow they are getting. However, just as attentive as you are when examining a mattress in the furniture shop, do the same for that pillow. Here are some key points to focus on as far as pillows go.
Support and comfort
The head and neck must receive optimum support from your pillow during sleep. Remember, you are going to be sleeping for hours and staying in the wrong posture night after night. This is bound to cause one loads of health problems in the future. Some pillows tend to be too thick or too thin leaving the neck susceptible to craning, twisting or crunching. The wrong pillow is likely to strain the spine owing to poor alignment of the body. This is what then leads to pain and discomfort on shoulders, back and the main cause of sleeplessness.
When looking for a pillow, do you focus only on the top material and forget to ask what kind of filling material has been used inside? While it is important to look at the kind of outer material it is also important to look deep and find out the type of fiber used to thicken the pillow. There are numerous fillings used in pillows including, wool, latex, cotton and memory foam. Bamboo memory foam pillows are filled with natural fiber that is not only durable but poses no health risk to the user. Certain fiber fillings are made of toxic material that has been linked to breathing problems among other health issues. Whether or not you will be using pillowcases, it is prudent to remain vigilant on the type of filler material used on your pillows.
There are three main pillow sizes. They include standard sized pillows, queen-sized pillows, and king size pillows. When it comes to pillow size one must consider a variety of factors. Such factors include,
- Your style of sleeping– if you tend to sleep on your stomach more, you are going to need a different size pillow from that person who sleeps on their back or on their side.
- Type of filling-Of all the types of fillings used in a variety of pillows in the market. Each filling has its own advantages and drawbacks. However, the bamboo memory foam pillow is soft and comfortable to use. It will offer the same quality and serve you for years before you consider replacing it with a new one.
- Use of the pillow-A pillow is not only restricted to the bed for use at night. Pillows more often than not make their way to the living room on the couch, in the van when you are traveling, and in many other places. If you use your pillow to support yourself while reading in bed, thicker pillows can do the trick. If you are using your pillow on the couch, a throw pillow or lumbar pillow is your best bet. A neckroll pillow is great to place in a corner at the back seat for a quick, comfortable rest when traveling.
- How soft is your mattress?-Softer mattresses go hand in hand with softer pillows while tough mattresses require tougher
Telltale signs of an unsupportive pillow
It could be that your pillow is too old and it needs to be replaced, it could be you are using the wrong size or that the pillow is simply not a good match for you. There are a variety of signs indicating that your pillow is unsupportive. Such signs include;
- Still feeling tired after having slept for the recommended number of hours
- You find it painful or hard to turn your head after waking up
- When you wake up, your ears hurt
- You start snoring
- You experience wakefulness or keep tossing and turning at night
- You experience signs of stiff neck when you wake up in the morning.
Prolonged use of a pillow leads to breakdown of the inner fiber fillings. Note that quality pillows like bamboo pillows will last you three or four years. Thereafter you should replace them with new bamboo pillows in order to ensure you stay comfortable and avoid experiencing the above signs.
Benefits of an original bamboo pillow over ordinary pillows
It is a general rule of thumb that quality pillows are those that offer the best support. While this is true, why is support so important? Well, think of it this way, when you stand you are discouraged from slouching. This puts a strain on certain joints and muscles that will eventually result in serious health problems. When you are sitting, you are advised to keep your back straight and avoid bending or relaxing your back for long. These rules also apply when it comes to sleep. When you are sleeping, the muscles are relaxed and you are unable to control your posture while you sleep.
During sleep, the pillow you use should help maintain the shape of the sine from the neck all the way to the hips. The spine naturally has a curved shape. The pillow you place under your head should always feel comfortable and keep the shape of your spine in its usual curved shape. A pillow that is too thick is usually too high and will leave you strained and tired. The head, shoulders, chest, lower back, and hips should lie at the same level.
Miracle bamboo pillows are not only meant to support your head and neck. It is wise to prop yourself using more pillows according to your sleeping position. There are a few tricks of alignment that you will find very rewarding. These include;
- For a back sleeper, Place a memory foam bamboo pillow under your legs. This is a great trick used to maintain the natural curve of the spine while helping relieve stress on the spine.
- For a stomach sleeper, place a bamboo pillow under your stomach and pelvis. When you sleep on your stomach with only a head pillow, you place lots of stress on the spine as it adopts an unnatural position. Placing a soft pillow under the recommended areas help keep you comfortable and your spine relaxed. The pillow meant for the head in this position should be flat.
- If you are a side sleeper, a firm bamboo pillow should go in between your legs at the knees. This prevents the spine from getting in the wrong position while simultaneously ensuring your hips and lower back is relaxed and experiencing minimal stress. You will feel much better by folding your knees to roughly 90 degrees and place them up towards your chest area. This position resembles a crouching position, with the only difference being that you are lying on the bed. The bamboo pillow that goes under the head should ensure that the rest of the body is on the same level. No part of the body should be placed lower or higher than the other.
What if you turn or change positions? The best way to turn is to move the whole body all at once as opposed to moving the torso by twisting the waist. Remember to keep your knees bent and close to your chest when you change positions.
A good bamboo pillow,
- Helps reduce the amount of pressure on a number of points in your body
- Promote better blood flow
- Encourage relaxing of muscles
- Promote spine health
A bad pillow on the other hand,
- Leads to tightened muscles
- Gives rise to orthopedic problems
- Leads to poor blood circulation
- Causes pinched nerves
Here’s a detailed bamboo pillow review 05/2023
Snuggle-Pedic ultra- Luxury memory foam bamboo pillow
One of the best pillows in the market is the Snuggle-pedic ultra luxury memory foam bamboo pillow. A pillow that lasts for years and years while serving you with the same quality as it did when you first bought it. This pillow uses material that is hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites. The manufacturers have stuck by the consumer product safety commission rules to use materials containing low volatile organic compound-VOC emissions. These are strict measures set to ensure that the air quality in the room remains conducive and friendly to the user.
It comes already packaged in a zippered outer cover that is removable to allow you to adjust the pillow into a bigger size to allow for less thickness and improved comfort. The same cover is designed with micro vents to promote breathability and better circulation of air in and out of the pillow. These features are great for optimum neck and back support especially for back, stomach and side sleepers. It is machine washable and dries very fast thanks to the lightweight fibers in the pillow.
Reasons why you should use this pillow
- Great for back, stomach and side sleepers
- Comfortable and supportive and will not go flat
- Made of Hypoallergenic filler material
- 20 years guaranteed quality
- The cover is made of bamboo fabric that is breathable allowing for cooler sleep
- Contains bamboo memory foam that conforms and takes up the shape of the head and neck for better support
- Zippered outer cover allows you to adjust the pillow wider and flatter for a better feel
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant fabric and fiber material
- Machine washable and easy to care for
- It is bulky
- Inner fiber contains polyester and lycra which may be a problem for people looking for organic filling only.
Xtreme comfort slim hypoallergenic bamboo pillow
A thinner pillow made only with stomach sleepers in mind. Meeting strict standards on content durability and emissions in a bid to ensure the safety of the user at all times. Other types of pillows tend to collapse under the weight of your neck and head. This leads to overheating which leaves the user twisting and turning in discomfort or having to wake up numerous times to flip the pillow over to the cooler side. Thankfully, this is not the case with the Xtreme comfort slim hypoallergenic bamboo pillow. It is carefully designed to look amazing on your bed and remain breathable even when you are lying on it.
For people who are very sensitive or are allergic to various fibers, then this is the pillow for you. This bamboo pillow is not only hypoallergenic, it is also mold resistant and dust mite resistant. It comes in a micro vented cover that regulates temperatures to keep you cool all night long and promote undisturbed sleep. Other pillows are made of filling that becomes lumpy and flat within a few months of use. This pillow, on the other hand, does not form lumps and maintains the same original shape and density even after a decade of use.
Reasons why this pillow is good
- Mold resistant, hypoallergenic, dust mite resistant
- Made in flatter design conducive for stomach sleepers
- Soft, comfortable and supportive
- Micro-vented cover advocates for better breathability and discourages overheating
- Meets strict standards on content durability and emissions
- It is not machine washable
- It may be uncomfortable to use for back or side sleepers owing to its flatter shape which is made for stomach sleepers.
The Original Miracle Bamboo memory foam pillow
Topping the list of most comfortable bamboo pillows is the Original Miracle bamboo Memory foam Pillow. Just what you needed to get you to finally sleep in peace. You can find three of the most sought-after features in this pillow. It guarantees support, it is soft and you can adjust it into whatever thickness you choose depending on your sleeping pattern. Position it in firm adjustment for firm support when watching TV while lying down on your couch, adjust the pillow down to medium to lay it flat on the bed to cradle your head neck and back or hoist it upwards for a fluffier softer feel when you are reading in bed.
This one of a kind pillow contains memory foam that hugs you back by evenly distributing your head, neck and body weight to provide comfort whether you are sleeping on your side, back or stomach. Once you leave, the pillow slowly bounces back to its original shape. It continues to respond this way each night for years on end serving you with the same quality over and over again. It is machine washable and never goes flat. The miracle bamboo pillow is made of high-quality materials that do not hang on to or produce odor. It is also resistant to dust mites and mold and contains hypoallergenic and antimicrobial properties.
Why you should buy this pillow
- It is Machine washable
- Contains hypoallergenic and antimicrobial properties
- Does not produce odor
- It is adjustable to accommodate different sleep patterns
- Offers commendable support and comfort during sleep, while watching TV or when reading
- Contains memory foam that accommodates your weight and returns back to its original shape
- It is made of durable fiber
- This pillow may be slightly heavier than other bamboo pillows
Zen ultra-plush gel Bamboo pillow
A bamboo pillow that promises to leave other pillows blushing. Constructed using super plush gel fiber aimed at providing complete comfort in whatever sleeping position you like. With this pillows soft cover, you will sleep like a king. It is made of breathable bamboo fabric that keeps you from overheating during the night. It is made with no shift technology that does not lump to give you all the support you desire for a good night rests. People suffering from asthma and other respiratory diseases or are allergic can feel free to pick this pillow. It contains hypoallergenic properties and is resistant to mildew, mold and dust mites.
With this pillow, you can say goodbye to all your sleep problems and welcome a life full of restful nights. This pillow is conveniently designed and machine washable. Despite washing it numerous times over months of use, this pillow will not fade and neither will it stain. In case you spill something on it, rest easy because it will come out once you wash it. It surprisingly still looks new even after years of use. This pillow is luxurious stylish and very comfortable.
Advantages of owning this pillow
- Resistant to mold and mildew
- Luxurious stylish and comfortable feel
- Machine washable
- Will not fade or stain
- Made with no shift technology that prevents lumping
- Durable offers over 10 years of quality service
- Soft outer cover for comfortable sleep
- May be unsuitable for you if you are a stomach sleeper. This owing to its thick nature which may cause a strain on your spine when sleeping on your chest.
Clara Clark Rayon memory foam bamboo pillow
A good night sleep is largely dependent on the pillow you place your head on each night. The Clara Clark Rayon Memory foam is built to ensure the spine maintains its natural shape all night long. This, in turn, provides for a pain-free, restful night for many many years. Made of 40% and 60% microfiber, this pillow contains the perfect balance to offer you all the support you are looking for. it weighs 4.9lbs and has a zippered cover which you can remove to adjust the pillow. This feature allows people with different sleeping positions to use this pillow and at the same time experience great comfort.
This bamboo pillow contains 100% memory foam. This is an amazing feature that allows this pillow to conform to the weight of your head and neck providing maximum support. In addition, this feature advocates for high levels of breathability in and out of the pillow. As a result, you will sleep soundly till morning without intervals of wakefulness due to overheating. This pillow is not prone to retain odor and is perfect for people with sleeping problems. It limits snoring, migraines, back and neck pains that show up as a result of poor spine support offered by ordinary pillows. This pillow is extremely easy to care for. It can be machine washed but be sure to set your washer on cold and a low heat setting on your dryer. Have you ever experienced constant sneezing, eye irritation or sudden rash on the face each time you get to bed? If your answer is yes, then throw away that pillow because it might be the source of all your trouble. Purchasing a Clara Clark bamboo pillow means you have a pillow that is resistant to dust mites and has hypoallergenic and antibacterial properties.
Pros of having this pillow
- Hypoallergenic and antibacterial
- Resistant to dust mites
- Machine washable
- 100% bamboo memory foam pillow
- Durable and easy to care for
- Washing it with warm or hot water might negatively affect this pillows level of quality.
The Bamboo plant grows very fast. The plant is crushed into a pulp and thereafter processed to eventually become material. This material is then used to make fabric for bamboo pillow covers or fiber for bamboo pillow fillings. The aforementioned facts provide you with enough information to help you purchase the best bamboo pillow.