If that’s the case, switching out your linens might be a good idea. If you find yourself in this situation, you may be wondering what to do with your old mattress. Mattresses can be disposed of, recycled, or even sold. When in good shape, the latter option is still better than the former.
Can You Sell a Used Mattress?
What to Do Before Selling Your Mattress?
If you know where to find a buyer for an old mattress, you can make money by reselling it. Make sure your bed is in fantastic condition before trying to sell it for the highest possible price.
To put it up for sale, here are the steps you must take:.
- It’s a good idea to double-check your state’s regulations on the sale of used mattresses. The resale of used mattresses is subject to stringent guidelines. Dishonest sellers are utilizing old mattresses to deceive many buyers. Mattress swaps should be regulated because of the large sums involved.
- The old mattress should be examined to check if it has any defects. Is there sag in the mattress? Any redness or blisters are visible on your skin? There’s a chance that mold or mildew is growing nearby.
- Make a new one for yourself. Any food spills or stains on the old mattress must be removed before it can be used for the new one. The other alternative is to use a vacuum with an upholstery attachment.
- You should inspect the mattress’s fabric for any tears or rips. If it has been damaged, you may not be able to sell it. If the mattress cannot be used for any reason, it is no longer a potential sales candidate.
- Before you replace your old mattress, make sure to check it by removing it from the frame. Find any holes or tears on the mattress’ edges that could pose a danger to someone who sleeps on it.
- At this stage, you can clean your old mattress with stain removers, mattress deodorizers, or mattress cleaning sprays. To keep bedbugs and vermin away, use an insect repellent spray. Without food or water, they may go for months at a time with no ill effects. It’s a common belief that merely putting your mattress away for a few weeks is enough to get rid of it.
- On Instagram, publish a photo of your bed. Determine whether or not they are of the highest grade. You can learn how to take better images from HubSpot. These are likely to be the first things online bed consumers look at. You can make a good first impression if you use the right photographs.
Where to Sell a Used Mattress?
Most people agree that the best alternative to throwing away their mattress is to sell it to a close family member or friend. To put it another way, it’s the easiest and most convenient method. Picking it up from your mate is the right thing to do. So you won’t have to deal with any difficult conversations or other inconveniences as a result of this.
This, however, is a rare occurrence. You may know someone who needs a mattress, but how likely is that? As a result of the vastness of the globe, you can use the Internet to locate potential clients.
You can easily resell a used bed on sites like Craigslist, eBay, Facebook, and even Amazon if you use the right resources.
To sell something, you can use this site for free; to buy something, it costs $20.
Clear and uncomplicated design means you won’t have any problems with the UI. Customers can view images of your bed on your website before deciding whether or not to contact you for more information.
Use the classified ads section in every city and country where there is a market for beds to sell secondhand mattresses on Craigslist.
The value of Craigslist lies in its capacity to identify people in your area who are searching to buy a mattress on the classifieds listing site. It’s difficult to transport a mattress. Sellers and customers are more likely to be in close proximity if they are in the same location.
2. Facebook Marketplace
An excellent option to get rid of your old mattress and get some money at the same time.
Use this app to share photos of your bed along with a price tag on Facebook. When it comes to connecting sellers and consumers in their nearby area, the Facebook Marketplace is just like Craigslist.
Despite the fact that the user interface isn’t as simple as Craigslist’s, it shouldn’t be difficult to sell your mattress using this site.
Facebook’s ad network can help you get your used mattress in front of a larger audience.
You get the widest range of possibilities here. One of the numerous things you may sell on eBay is your old mattress. Beds in all shapes and dimensions are readily available for purchase in this area. eBay’s buyer protection also covers you if the mattress is damaged in transit.
eBay’s user-friendly interface and extensive ad options make it simple to post an ad. You can put your old bed up for sale in various auctions or buy now advertising by posting images and videos online (which will cost you a small fee).
It’s crucial to remember, however, that eBay can bring in shady customers. Before you put your mattress up for sale, make sure you are aware of the policies of the people who will be purchasing it.
This technique has a number of advantages, but it may not be the best option for every individual.
Utilizing Amazon’s FBA program, you may promote your bed for a fraction of the cost of using eBay or Craigslist (using an Amazon Seller account). This means you don’t have to lift or ship anything yourself. Once you’ve completed the form and gathered your belongings, send them a letter.
To be sure, doing business with Amazon has a number of disadvantages. A significant volume of client feedback and evaluations is essential to a successful mattress sale. Amazon Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) requires a high-quality mattress cover for your products. On Amazon, you may find mattresses for a fraction of the price (again, if you buy an expensive bed).
It’s possible that selling on Amazon could cost you more money than it will make you. Determine if the effort and time invested are worth it.
You should read Amazon’s seller policies before listing your bed for sale so you know exactly what’s expected of you.
How to Sell a Used Mattress?
It’s possible that you’re wondering what to do with your old mattress once you’ve decided to replace it. The cost of a new mattress can be offset by the sale of a used one. One of the most difficult things you can do is try to sell a used mattress. In this guide, we’ll show you how to sell a used mattress. You shouldn’t try to sell an old mattress because they normally last seven years.
Online classified ads, word-of-mouth, and direct contact with potential purchasers are all methods in which a used mattress might be advertised. This post includes step-by-step directions for getting rid of your old mattress:
1. Research Applicable Laws & Regulations
Know that used mattress sales are more heavily regulated than the sales of most other household goods… Most of the United States allows used mattresses to be sold if the labelling and/or processing requirements are met.
You’ll need to check with your city or town to determine if there are any limits on the sale of secondhand mattresses according to state regulations. A professional sanitizer is required in several states before mattresses may be sold. To comply with legal requirements, all previously owned mattresses must be marked as such. The selling of specific mattress components, such as the foam, is permitted in some countries that restrict the sale of used mattresses altogether. In contrast, several countries have no rules at all.
If your state allows it, see if there are any secondhand mattress stores in your region (most do not). A merchant purchase of your bed may be the most practical course of action in this situation. You won’t earn as much money for it as you would if you sold it to a buyer directly, but the process is considerably easier.
2. Set a Price
A reasonable price is the next step after you’ve verified that you can sell your old mattress legally (and that the effort is worthwhile). A secondhand mattress can be estimated to cost somewhere between 20 and 30 percent of the original retail price. If you sell a $1,000 memory foam mattress, you might expect to profit between $200 and $300.
As a result, the fair market value of a mattress can be affected by a variety of factors:
- How old is it, in terms of time? Older mattresses might be worth up to two times more than newer ones.
- The amount of time it was used (primary bed vs. guest bedroom)
- There are visible stains and sags on the mattress’s physical appearance.
- Customers’ opinions on the brand name of the mattress.
- Benefits to the vendor (delivery included, or pick-up only)
3. Write an Advertisement
Your old mattress is now ready to be placed up for sale on the internet. Be honest about the property’s current condition while while highlighting its strengths. As much information as possible should be included:
- Models made by the company
- When in doubt about your mattress’ dimensions, take a tape measure and refer to our mattress sizing chart.
- the shape and dimensions of a mattress (innerspring, hybrid, or all-foam)
- Materials utilised (polyfoam, springs, latex, memory foam, etc.)
- material(s) used to construct the cover
- Whether or not the mattress is new is a consideration.
- The function of a mattress (guest bed vs. primary bed)
- Whichever type of mattress pad or protector you used was irrelevant. ,
- If you’ve had any issues or have anything further to add, please do so.
Indicate if your item’s price is set or not in your description. Even if your pricing is “Or Best Offer,” if you’re willing to entertain bids, you can make it (OBO).
Last but not least: Describe where the item is and whether it can be delivered, and whether or not you’re okay with people visiting your home to inspect it. Don’t forget to provide your phone number and e-mail address.
4. Choose a Marketplace
You’ll now need to determine where to put your mattress ad. In the majority of cases, your best bets are Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. Here are a few ideas to get you going:
- You may purchase and sell products and services on
- For those of you who don’t know, OfferUp is a
- Get things done using the LetGo app.
- eBay’s Classified Ads
The most popular site or app in your area is likely to be the best option for you. Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, or OfferUp/LetGo are among the most popular methods for selling goods. Offer your products on as many marketplace sites as possible to get the most exposure.
Oftentimes, online marketplaces like Amazon and eBay don’t work well for mattresses since they require merchants to distribute their products. Because of this, you should restrict your search to online markets that provide local pick-up.
5. Sell Your Mattress!
After you’ve advertised your used mattress on Craigslist or another local secondhand marketplace, wait for inquiries from possible buyers. If you haven’t been motivated to work on your project for a few weeks, consider one of the following alternatives:
- If necessary, republish or “bump” your ad.
- Cost-cutting measures
- In order to attract more potential purchasers, listing names should be reworked
- Make a unique offer to the customer in order to get the goods delivered free of charge (many people are unable to pick up a used mattress)
Depending on the amount of individuals in your area and other factors, selling your mattress may take some time. For most people, a new mattress is preferable to a used one.
6. Consider Donating
If you’re unable to sell your mattress or the process seems too onerous, consider donating it instead. Charity organizations like Habitat for Humanity or Goodwill may take used mattresses in good condition. There are other homeless shelters as an alternative.
Check with several different charities to see if they take donations before making a final decision, as each one is unique. Make sure you explain your bed in detail and specify whether or not you’re willing to make one for the person you’re renting it out from.
How Much Can You Make from Selling Your Mattress?
When you put your mattress up for sale, you clearly want to obtain the most money possible.
According to their size and condition, used mattresses can cost anywhere from $20 to $200 depending on where they are situated. You should also think about how much you paid for it. You can tell a lot about the quality of a mattress by how much it costs, so if you spend a lot of money on it, you can be sure it will sell for a good price.
While it’s possible in many different methods, some are more time-consuming than others.
The first step is to evaluate the mattress to see how much it is worth on the market. Compare your mattress to other used mattresses to get a good indication of its value.
Check to see if there are any issues. Make sure there are no stains, holes, or tears on the cover of the book. There is no excuse for ignoring the possibility of bed bugs. If you clean up an old bed fast, potential buyers are more likely to realize its potential.
Establishing a Price
Now that you know the condition of your bed, you may put a price on it. Setting a fair price is possible through a variety of methods. A price that does not scare away potential customers because it is either too high or too cheap.
- Make use of a mattress price checker to determine what the competition is charging in your area and then adjust your own pricing accordingly.
- For a more quick price, type “used mattresses” into Google and see what comes up.
- It’s possible to advertise on local websites that cater to those looking for deals on old beds in your area.
- In the next step, you’ll need to find out how much your old bed is worth. This is all that matters in the end. You should be wary of anyone who thinks they can get away with paying $100 for a bed that is only worth $50 to them. Both of you will benefit from this arrangement.
You never know if the previous owner paid attention to the tiniest of details when purchasing a secondhand mattress. As a result, you should employ an expert to inspect the situation. They’ll take care of everything for you, including a thorough evaluation of your mattress’ current condition.
Taking Care of the Process: How to Sell Your Mattress Safely
There are various precautions you should take before disposing of your old mattress.
There are a few things you need to do first before you can begin selling your mattress.
- Any stains on the cover must be removed, the bedding cleaned, and dried.
- Verify that all of the labels have been removed completely before continuing.
- After you’ve sold the mattress, it’s imperative that you take excellent care of it. A new cover can be placed on top of an existing one once the region has been thoroughly cleaned.
- Don’t forget to mention how much the bedding costs as well as how long it will last before expiring. Be honest while selling secondhand products. Your ad’s credibility will rise in direct proportion to the level of detail it contains.
If your old mattress holds a lot of personal value for you, you might want to hold off on selling it for a while.
5 Tips On How To Sell A Used Mattress
1. Clean It
Make sure the mattress you’re selling has been thoroughly cleaned and sanitized to avoid frightening away potential consumers. Customers are put off by the smell of perspiration or blood. Use a high-quality cleaning and make sure it leaves behind a pleasant aroma to get the greatest effects.
2. Be Honest
Regular cleaning, sanitizing, and aerating of the mattress was ensured by the use of a mattress pad or protector. Inform the customer if this is the case.
3. Brand Name
In your ad copy, make sure to include the name of the mattress brand. If the product is new or worn, the brand name is still a reliable indicator of its quality. With the model or version number, potential customers can look for specifications and user reviews on Google to see if they like the product.
4. Take Pictures
Any product you plan to market should be accompanied by a photo of the same quality. If you want customers to make an informed purchase, make sure they can see the product from a number of perspectives.
5. Other Details
If you don’t have any pets in the house, be sure to mention it. It is important for people who are allergic to pets to know if the bed has been used by a cat or dog. You should include if the source is a nonsmoker as well. Indicate whether or not you want your order delivered for free and whether or not there will be any extra charges in your order description.
A mattress that has already been used can be sold. In either case, you may either sell it to a store or directly to a customer by exchanging it for something of equal value. Make use of the guidance that has been offered thus far. You’ll need a strategy in place whether you decide to sell your old mattress to a retailer or straight to a customer.
So, what are your thoughts on this?
Please consider giving this post a star rating.